Thisarticleoutlines some basic tips for building a high traffic website. ;It alsooutlines some things that you should not do that could causesomeserious setbacks.
1. Key words - Considerwhatpeople would search for which may cause them to find your site.Alsofind out what keywords are the most popular possibly bysubscribing to asite that provides keyword popularity information.Gear some pages tothese keywords so long as they are relevent to yourmaterial. Write somepages that would contain these keywords (Inheaders and other text) butdon’t overdue it and keep the materialuseful
2.Page ranking and getting links - Googleis a very important part of theinternet today. They use a computerizedpage rank system based on linksand link structure to compute the“value” of pages. This value combinedwith the relevance or a search(or how closely your page matches thesearch phrase in terms of exactmatches and number of matches)determines where your page link willappear when a search is done.Getting other webmasters to link to yoursite is a very important partof getting a good page rank.
*Create one or more links pages where other webmasters may post linkstotheir site on your site. Creating a friendly site that makesexchanginglinks easy encourages other webmasters to post your link.
*Partner with other sites and work with them to exchange links.Buildingan affiliates section with links to partner sites may help.
* Submit to web directories as mentioned at http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/web/sitecreate/sitepromotion.htmlOnceweb directories have your site submission most internet searchengineswill find your site. It is still good to submit your sites tosearchengines such as Google, but be sure you do not do it more thanonceevery three months.
* Building good content will be very helpful in getting links to your site.
3.Content rich – Having a lot of content on your site will not onlyhelpimprove your page rank, but will provide a better chance ofgetting pagehits when internet users search for information. Also goodqualitycontent will keep them coming back It may be worth your whileto givesome useful content away for no charge to help build traffic toyoursite.
4. Getting awards – It is very useful to get awards foraquality or useful site from those sites that give awards. It adds totheprestige of your site and may draw additional customers.
5.Givingawards – Giving awards is a very useful way of getting links toyoursite from other quality sites since webmasters usually post theawardwith a link back to your site which can be required.
6.Activecontent such as discussion boards – On today’s internet activecontentis a very useful part of bringing people back to your sitesince manyenjoy the free information exchange that is provided bydiscussionboards and similar tools.
7. Create a site map - Thiswill make sureall your pages can be crawled. Some webcrawlers onlycrawl a site alimited number of links deep such as 3 or 4 links deep.If you create asite map which is available from a link on your homepage it will allowwebcrewlers to see all your pages within a depth oftwo links. Having asitemap is especially important if you use framedHTML pages on yoursite. See the Important Note about Frame use at http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/web/html/guide/htmlframes.html and it will give some guidelines on what to do to overcome the disadvantages of using frames.
9. Avoidpossiblycatastrophic errors – There are some mistakes that could bemade whichcan get you banned from some search engines so don’t do anyof thefollowing:
* Duplicate content on multiple sites can get your page rank penalized.
*Submitting your site to search engines too often (more than onceperthree months) could get you banned with little hope of a reprieve.
* Creating pages with hidden content that readers can’t see but searchengines can see can get you penalized or banned.
* Linking from onesite to another excessively especially if the two sites have the sameIP address can get you penalized.